Here's How to Take Back Your Summer
Let’s pledge allegiance to a summer of adventure. A summer where we commit to leaving the office early, turning off our phones, and getting outside. Let’s embrace summer with fearless hearts and open minds — ready to climb, run, splash, and play until we fall asleep under the stars. Let’s be okay with a few bug bites and a little sweat. Let’s say YES to anything that might make a good story. Let’s build bonfires, plant gardens, and ride our bikes a little too fast.
Here's the Pledge:
I hereby commit to a summer of adventure by pledging to do as many of the following activities as possible:
- Swim in oceans, lakes, rivers, and ponds. Bonus points if it’s before 7 a.m. or after 7 p.m.
- Sleep in a tent. The backyard totally counts.
- No email after 5 p.m. (with the exception of party or trip planning logistics).
- Go on at least three picnics: One with someone over 80, one with someone under 5, and one by myself.
- Let kids and dogs get as dirty and wet as they want. They’re on to something.
- Use a clothesline instead of a dryer.
- Hike, bike, or paddle hut-to-hut.
- Eat straight from the garden.
- Spend at least two hours per day outside without immediate access to a phone. Looking at this within the context of all of human history, I realize it is possible.
- Find my favorite local farm, and give them no less than 1/3 of my grocery budget.
- Climb more trees.
- Bike instead of drive. And if I have to drive? Windows down, tunes cranked.
- See how long I can go without power. (Within reason. Keep the fridge on.)
- Spend the night on an island. The smaller the better.
I will add and subtract from this list as fate demands.
At Maine Huts & Trails, we think adventure comes in all sizes. If you want to hike the 4,000’ peaks in the Bigelows, we can get you there. Ready to crush some single track on your mountain bike? Let’s go. Want to try a new beer while you stoke the campfire? Give us a call. No matter what adventure means to you, we’ll do whatever we can to make it awesome. In fact, with preplanned itineraries, custom hut-to-hut packages, and guided trips you can book online, your summer of adventure is easier than ever.
For more summer adventure ideas, get our newsletter >>