2017 Maine Huts & Trails Adventure Ski Race & Tour
A Point-to-Point Race/Tour
Date: Sunday, March 12, 2017
Distances: 20K / 35K / 55K
Participants: 200 combined between all distances – Please refer to the field limits for the number of available spaces in each distance.
Timing: Wave starts will begin approximately 10 minutes after the shuttle bus arrives at 20K and 35K starting points.
- 8:30 AM for the 55K
- 10:00 AM for the 35K
- 10:00 AM for the 20K
- The 55K will start at Grand Falls Hut (overnight reservations included on 3/11/17).
- The 35K will start at the Long Falls Dam Road Trailhead (lodging package optional on 3/11/17).
- The 20K will start at Staten’s Gravel Pit (near Flagstaff Hut) on Long Falls Dam Rd.
- All courses end at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center.
The 20K race will pass the Poplar Hut and the 35K and 55K races will pass Flagstaff and Poplar Huts. The course will be well-signed at each of the road/snowmobile trail crossing and at a couple of steep, winding descents. Use caution and keep your speed in check on the hills….there are plenty. A map of the course and a course elevation profile will be available in January. To read about one racer's experience, check out this guest blog post:
This is a classic-technique only event, skate skiing is not permitted.
Online registration through will open at 8:00 AM on 12/16/16 and will close at 12:00 PM on 3/10/17. All participants are encouraged to register online in advance, however race day registration will be available during check-in.
|Distance||Race/Tour Only||Race/Tour + Lodging Package*|
$35/Youth (17 & Under)
$100/Youth (17 & Under)
$25/Youth (17 & Under)
*55K Lodging Package: All participants in the 55K distance must stay overnight at Grand Falls Hut the night before the race (Saturday, 3/12/16). There are only 28 spaces available for the 55K lodging package so register early. The overnight lodging package includes race fees, dinner, lodging in shared accommodations and race-day breakfast.
*35K Lodging Package: Participants in the 35K distance have the option of staying overnight at Flagstaff Hut the night before the race (Saturday, 3/12/16). There are only 16 spaces reserved for the 35K lodging package so register early. The overnight lodging package includes race fees, dinner, lodging in shared accommodations and race-day breakfast.
**Team/Group Entry: We offer a team/group entry for High School and College teams. The team entry fee is $25 per person for teams of 5 or more people entering the 35K.
Check-In: For those taking part in the 35K/55K lodging package, check-in will be held at the Outdoor Center from 8:30 AM - 9:30 AM on Saturday, 3/11/17. Race day check-in will be held from 7:00 – 8:00 AM at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center.
Shuttles: For those with the 35K/55K lodging package, the shuttle will leave the Outdoor Center at 10:00 AM on 3/11/17. This shuttle is optional, but remember that there will not be a return shuttle after the race.
- 35K participants staying at Flagstaff Hut on Saturday night will be dropped off at the Flagstaff Trailhead (Long Falls Dam Rd). From there, it's an easy 1.8-mile ski into the hut. On race day, participants will need to ski back out to the trailhead for the start of the race. Gear will be shuttled into Flagstaff on Saturday and back to the Outdoor Center (finish line) on Sunday where it can be picked up after the race.
- 55K participants will be dropped off at the Big Eddy Trailhead for the 8-mile (mostly flat) ski into Grand Falls. Gear will be shuttled to Grand Falls on Saturday and then back to the Outdoor Center (finish line) on Sunday for pick up following the race.
On race day, shuttles will take participants for the 20K/35K races to their respective starting points before the race. The shuttle will leave the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center at 8:15 AM. Gear will be shuttled back to the Outdoor Center for pick up following the race. We highly recommend that all participants use this shuttle. There will not be parking at the 20K start. Parking is available at the 35K start but there will not be a return shuttle following the race.
Food/Refreshments: Aid stations will be available along the route and will include warm energy drinks and snacks. Touring-only participants also have the option to stop in for lunch at Poplar Hut between 11:30 AM and 1:30 PM for hot soup, homemade bread, baked goods and hot drinks. Post-race lunch will be provided at the Sugarloaf Outdoor Center from 12:00 PM until 3:30 PM on 3/12/17.
Awards/Prizes: Prizes (no cash) are awarded to the top three M/F finishers in each distance. We will also have bib drawings with lots of fun prizes, which both racers and tourers can win!
Trail Conditions: Current trail conditions will be available daily leading up to the day of the race.