Due to the nature of our facilities, combined with the pandemic, we have a few guiding details and requirements we ask you to follow during your stay. Please review the following information carefully:
Arrival and Gear Shuttle:
- You will be greeted by our MH&T Flagstaff Caretaker upon arrival at the Flagstaff Trailhead parking area.
- We will have you transfer your personal items and food into the back of our MH&T-designated or transfer vehicle, and our Caretaker will transport your gear to the Hut.
- You will have a choice of trails to hike or bike to Flagstaff Hut, and the distances range between 1.8 and 2.2 miles from the Trailhead to Flagstaff Hut. Personal vehicles are not permitted to and from the Hut.
- IMPORTANT: When you know your plans, please send an email to the Caretaker at email@example.com to confirm your estimated time of arrival so the Caretaker knows when to meet you at the trailhead rendezvous. Reception is spotty at the Trail Head; mobile phone connection is not dependable.
- Your gear will be shuttled back out to your car at the end of your stay.
Your Stay at Flagstaff Hut
Our Caretaker will be on-site during your stay.
Maine Huts & Trails Caretakers are volunteers who fill multiple rolls.
The Caretaker is there to help orient you for your stay, oversee the Hut’s green energy systems, and look out for the place.
Caretakers are not responsible for cleaning up after or cooking for guests.
Meals and Kitchen
- Meals are not provided; you will provide your own food.
- There is a refrigerator and freezer for perishables.
- The Hut has all the kitchen equipment you will need. We have a coffee pot and the filters. Please note there is no microwave.
- Kitchen cleaning supplies included.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Prior to your arrival, the Hut will have remained vacant for at least 48 hours and the Caretaker will have followed health and hospitality protocols to sanitize the Hut interior.
- During your stay please clean up after yourself. “Leave the Hut in as good or better shape than you found it” is the self-service mantra.
We are an off-the-grid facility; this means that all of our power comes from solar, some propane, and wood. Please conserve energy by turning off lights behind you.
- No hair dryers, curling irons, electric razors, etc. Please leave those items at home.
Flagstaff Hut is a place to disconnect and reconnect.
- There is no Wi-Fi at the Hut, and cell connectivity is extremely limited and completely unreliable.
All of our huts are NON-SMOKING. If you decide to smoke, please walk far away from any structures. Please bring your own cigarette receptacle and take it with you when you leave the Hut.
Pets are not permitted at Flagstaff Hut for the safety and well-being of your four-legged friend, the protection of wildlife, the care and upkeep of the Hut, and the health of future guests.
Things to Bring
“House Shoes” for Main Lodge
Flashlight (and batteries )
Basic First Aid Kit
Personal clothing, remember nights can be chilly and rain may roll through
- MH&T has on-site canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards.
- Our equipment also includes life-vests toddler through extra-extra large.
There is swimming at the dock. Flagstaff Lake is a shallow lake. NO DIVING.